Do you feel lethargic after lunchtime? Follow these tips for beating the afternoon energy slump and get the spring back in your step, especially if you plan on hitting the GYM after work.
Tip 1: Start first thing in the morning with a good-quality breakfast because you need a balance of protein and carbohydrate to get your day going:
- 1 medium-sized bowl of wholegrain cereal or rolled oats with milk and a piece of fresh fruit
- 1 – 2 slices of seed loaf toast with peanut butter and a banana
- 1 – 2 slices of low GI toast with scrambled egg and grated mozzarella
Tip 2: Make sure you include a protein if you choose to eat a salad for lunch, even if you are trying to lose weight.
Tip 3: Avoid high-fat lunches because they take longer to digest and sit in your stomach making you feel sluggish.
- Lean meat rye bread sandwich
- Chicken salad and a piece of fresh fruit
- A small portion of leftover dinner such as Beef stir fry
Tip 4: Include an afternoon snack
- Dried fruit and nuts
- Mini rice cakes
- Lean biltong
Tip 5: Avoid energy drinks
These drinks boost your energy but within the hour you will simply feel jittery or exhausted!
Rather include soothing but tasty drinks such as:
- Green tea
- Homemade iced tea (equal part fruit juice to cold tea – add lemon; mint)
- Regular strength coffee
Stay in touch
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive exclusive offers and the latest news on our products and services.
Copyright © 2019 GHC Nation. All rights reserved.